Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Music and Writing


I can't write in silence. I need music while writing, but the type of music always changes depending on where I am in the writing process.

I need noise when drafting, but lyrics distract me. So I like to listen to movie/television soundtracks.  My favorites are Game of Thrones by Ramin Djawadi, BBC Sherlock by David Arnold and Michael Price, Downton Abbey by The Chamber Orchestra of London, Harry Potter by John Williams and Alexandre Desplat, Doctor Who by Murray Gold and BBC National Orchestra of Wales, Les Revenants by Mogwai, The Lord of the Rings by Howard Shore, and Jurassic Park by John Williams.

But when I'm editing or revising, I can handle listening to lyrics. Lately, my favorite singers or bands to listen to are Florence + The Machine, Ellie Goulding, MS MR, Lana Del Rey, Lorde, and Marina and The Diamonds.

With every manuscript (or unfinished WIP), I have listened to soundtracks while drafting and select bands or singers during revising/editing. At least I did up until THE TREASURE HUNT. With THE TREASURE HUNT, I listened to metal bands throughout the entire writing process. I think for this ms it helped me connect with my characters since music and mixed tapes play a big part in the story. I mostly listened to Metallica (Ride the Lightning, …And Justice for All, Master of Puppets, and the black album). I also listened to Slayer, Pantera, Testament, Skid Row, Ozzy Osbourne, Iron Maiden, and Megadeth. Ben, the main character, likes grunge/alternative, so sometimes I listened to a select few songs by The Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Mother Love Bone, and Nirvana.

With THICK AS THIEVES, my Camp Nano WIP, I've tried to stick with sci-fi soundtracks. So far, I've enjoyed listening to Star Trek by Michael Giancchino (thanks to Stephanie Garber for the suggestion!), Fringe: Season 1 by Chad Seiter, Chris Tilton, and Michael Giancchino, Thor by Patrick Doyle, and Doctor Who by Murray Gold and BBC National Orchestra of Wales.

What do you listen to while drafting, revising, and editing?

4 comments:

  1. I love writing playlists, and I think they probably say a lot about the tone of your writing in the MS you're working on (which, btw, makes THE TREASURE HUNT sound fierce as hell!! :D) I do pretty much the same as you, though lyrics don't bother me when I'm writing. I've been listening to Lana Del Rey, George Ezra, MS MR and Matt Corby a lot with my current WIP. Hopefully that will translate to my writing having a slinky, dulcet tone ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Ooh, your current WIP sounds interesting, considering your playlist! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm always impressed by people who can listen to music. I always get distracted by lyrics or if I know what's coming up in the song. I don't think I've listened to much lyric-less music, but I still don't think I'd be able to concentrate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You don't listen to anything? I think I'd get even more distracted without any music ;)

      Delete